Monday, July 17, 2006

Saturday we attended the funeral for Brian's best friend's grandmother. I wasn't sure how Hayden would do considering he doesn't sit still for ANYTHING. The service started at 2:00pm. Brian was a pallbearer and had to be there at 1:00pm. I packed a bag for Hayden full of things I hoped would keep him occupied: books, Cheez-Its, and juice.

With an hour until the service started, we all wandered in the halls and caught up with family and friends. Hayden did really well! As the services was starting, Hayden and I sat in the back with Thomas' girlfriend (Katherine) near the door for a quick escape if needed. I pulled a book from our bag and opened it up for him to look at. The first thing out of his mouth was "Dog". That wouldn't have been so bad but the entire congragation was silent as the service had started. Brian (seated in the front) nodded his head as he recognized that was Hayden's voice. I quickly turned the page and had forgotten that Hayden knew most of the pictures in the book and proceeded to tell everyone. Done with that book!

After about 10 minutes he started getting ansy. I started shoving Cheez-Its in his hands which pacified him for a few more minutes. I felt bad for Katherine as she had to endure his impatience. After the Cheez-Its, he wanted down. No place for that so I had to make my escape. Once out in the lobby, he walked up and down the hallway and was great. Catastrophe diverted!!!

At the grave site, I stayed in the car with Hayden since it was so hot outside. Brett and Amie's little man, Connor, stayed in with us as well. He is 2 months old and absolutely a cutie! He just talked and cooed at me. He brought back some fun memories of Hayden at that age. The boys are exactly 1 year and 3 days apart. They will have so much fun growing up together!


No comments: